Saturday, September 4, 2010

A World Without Emails...

My eyes caught a glimpse of the title "A World Without Emails: One Man's Vision of a Social Workplace". If you are like me, I get tons of emails everyday. Luckily I use gmail, I love how easy it is to filter emails coming to my inbox with gmail.

Sometime in 2009, I started exploring "how to do internet marketing" and "how to make money online" so I joined and evaluated some online programs and some "global" mlm companies to start my research. I am Literally swamp with emails - solo email ads, newsletters, email marketing and more.

One of my key questions is "how to get rid of auto-responders" in my online marketing. This is indeed a very big challenge because I have not yet heard of an online marketing guru talking about doing away with building an email list which will be my future subject matter.

Indeed, for now I am very much interested to do away with emails.  And here's how one man, Luis Suarez, does it, written by Amy-Mae Elliott

1. Don’t Reply

If you want to stop receiving so much e-mail, the number one rule is don’t reply to it....

2. Study Your Inbox

Next, study your inbox....

After you’ve studied the way you use your inbox, try to group e-mails together into categories — newsletters, Q&As, e-mails from family members, etc.

3. Tackle One Area a Week

After you’ve evaluated you intake, slowly move one of those groups away from your inbox....

One week, unsubscribe from newsletters and try and find alternative sources such as a feed reader or relevant Twitter accounts.

You may find that you are bombarded with e-mail questions from colleagues, and that you get one particular question 40 times from 40 different people in one month.

So the next week, sort out the Q&A. The way to deal with that is to set up a blog offering the answers. The blog will be indexed by Google, and your answers will be available to everyone out there. This means you are no longer part of the bottle neck, and you are helping people to feed themselves with the information that they need.

“Some people say to me, but you are lucky, you’re [at] a big IT company,” concludes Suarez. “It may seem easy for a big company, but with the huge amounts of options we have out there — all the various social software tools — there is no longer an excuse.” ...

~~~

With technology changing rapidly, it’s worthwhile to wonder if ten years down the line, e-mail may still be as prominent in our lives as it is today.

“We will still have e-mail in ten years,” says Suarez. “I don’t want to kill all e-mail, but I want to help people re-purpose it. We will see traditional tools like e-mail redesigned to be used for what it was originally designed for.”

For Suarez, the e-mail of the future will look something like this:

“You get an alert, telling you how and where you can go and grab content … it won’t just be a notification system, but a read-write opportunity with the option to engage back so that information is no longer stuck in an inbox.”

Amy-Mae Elliott

>> read the article here >>

1 comment: